Pages

Friday, August 27, 2010

Iqbal V Rumi

I just got my hands on a book that is a collection of translations of Rumi's verses. All of these verses focus on one thing, Islam and obedience... Reading the preface, it came to my understanding that the west regards Rumi's as the poet of the East, and I was like, "what about IQBAL?????". Don't we regard him as the poet of the east. After doing some research another thing came to my understanding, like all things blown out of proportion to create the indian musalman's identity, Iqbal too was blown out of proportion, except for Pakistan, no other eastern nation takes him as their poet... Rumi of the other, almost every nation is willing to take him in... sadly for them, Rumi is a stateless poet... But coming back to Iqbal, its not that hes not a good poet, its just that... as I remember Iqbal is patronizing, its like your either this or nothing, be a muslaman or nothing, the earth moves or nothing and stuff like that... thinking of contemporary poets, Ghalib is the guy, he rebelled from the social norms, and he showed the critical thinker spirit, which I didn't find in Iqbal... I read both of their works... and honestly, Iqbal was a guy who walked in style that path walked many times, contrary to that, Ghalid went on a completely different path, and walked in his own style, not even a hint of thought to the world...

Coming Back to Rumi, the first thing that I saw was the reverence to God, it was there, even when the poem was about the rose bud, it was there, and then there was awe for his teacher Maulana Shams Tabraiz... now that is a guy who can be read... and please please all you patriots please, don't endorse Rumi, I beg you... thats another reason why I did write much about his work, the first is that I have not finished reading the book... M thinking, when I get time, I'll learn Persian and read the Masna'vi in its actual form...

No comments: