Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Talismans, and That One

Have you ever worn talismans, taaveez rings lockets arm-bands the works? I did, in fact I still do... 3 or 4 depending on my mood. A girl I knew once had a strange talisman. I'll get into this in a moment, first a back story, and explanation of why I wear them, its a reason... but reasons change overtime.

My mother made me wear a lot of them when I was a kid for protection and Godaloneknowswhatnot, it wasn't her nature, she just got caught in the "trend" I guess. With time, those talismans became a habit, leaving home without them seemed odd, it was like I had forgotten something... important. Time changes things, but it can't change habits... With time, I got rid of those pseudo religious talismans, or rather I replaced them with ones of my own making. Before they were all taveez, now they consist of a taveez (I just can't get rid of it), a ring, a pair of keys, and a chain (keeping this depends on my mood).

The taveez I can't let go, even when the rope broke, I got it repaired....its like a past part of me that must stay on. The ring is just a silver ring I had made with the first money I earned from my very first tuition, its worn and beaten now, and even the inscription is not what I meant it to be... but I  wear it cause its a part of me. The pair of keys are to the doors of my house, sometimes I can't leave them out of necessity, other times they serve as a reminder... and an important reminder at that. The chain is a memoir I keep, another reminder...

The girl, the girl came to my mind today as I was gathering my talismans, specifically my keys, in preparation for college. She had a pair of keys which she kept in a string which she tied around her neck. The string was not black as they usually are, it was red... if nothing, I think it was the color of the string which made it strange, unique... and the way she wore them... I can't remember her name or what she looked like, honestly I can't... I just remember those keys in the red string around her neck. I never got around to paying her a compliment on that cause until today I never quite got over the fact of the strangeness of that... talisman.... now that I don't remember her that well, I doubt I ever will... but still, those keys and that string, they were... unique .....

Strange, isn't it......

No comments: